How can anyone consider himself, to be, a meaningful, effective leader, unless/ until, he consistently, sets the best/ right example, for others, to, hopefully, follow? Regardless of the organization – type, whether it is, political, public office, for – profit, not – for – profit, large, or small, etc, the reality is, both, actual, as well as potential stakeholders, look at a leader, and consider, the type of example, he sets! One must, commit to, lead – by – example, instead of only, talking – the – talk (he must be willing to, walk – the – walk)! Therefore, it is, incumbent – upon, a true leader, to set the best example, to motivate and inspire, past, present, and potential members. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 ways, this is, such an important consideration.
1. Words matter: Although, we often, witness rhetoric, and empty promises, from candidates running for office, as well as, those elected to positions of leadership, the truth is, words matter! The message, one articulates, may, either, be inspiring, and motivating, or have, quite, the opposite effect!
2. Do as I say, or do?: Do as I say, not as I do? Perhaps, nothing, damages the trust of those, you seek to have, follow you, as much, as exhibiting clear conflicts, between what you tell others to do, and your personal actions! Great leaders must set the right example, by, leading – by – example, and always, committing to do, at the very – least, as much (preferably, more) as you ask anyone else, to commit to!
3. Absolute integrity: One must exhibit, absolute integrity, not, merely, when it is, convenient. Especially, in this ever – more, digital world, it is important, to realize, someone is always watching, and, you must, do the right thing, all the time!
4. Genuine empathy: For most people, their favorite two sounds are, the sound of their own voice, and hearing their name! Great leaders must effectively listen (far more than speaking), and commit to learning, from every conversation, and experience, in order to proceed, with the utmost degree of genuine empathy, and, aligning his emphasis, accordingly!
5. Attitude: It’s very important to fully understand, the need, to maintain a positive, can – do, attitude, focused on making a difference, for the better! Beware, however, this must align with reality, and, avoid wearing rose – colored glasses!
6. Aptitude/ skill – set: If you wish to lead, effectively, willingly, take professionally – designed, leadership training programs, and develop, a relevant, well – developed, aptitude, and skill – set!
How/ why, would anyone follow you, if they didn’t believe, in the example, you set? Are you, up to the task?